Just for Leaders
“A Boy Scout deserves a trained leader.” This year we are offering a variety of opportunities to develop your skills and knowledge as a leader. Some of these will be done by Camp Shands staff and members of the North Florida Council training team.
- Scoutmaster Position-Specific – this course will provide the basic information and tools needed to lead a successful Boy Scout troop for Scoutmasters and Assistant Scoutmasters.
- Introduction to Outdoor Leadership Skills (IOLS) – this hands-on course will provide adult leaders with the practical outdoor skills they need to lead Scouts in the out of doors.
- Safe Swim Defense & Safety Afloat – this course will certify you to conduct year-round swimming and boating activities.
- Swimming Water Rescue & Paddle Craft Safety – it is designed to expand on Safe Swim Defense and Safety Afloat training. The BSA recommends at least one person with the training be present whenever a unit swims at a location that does not provide lifeguards. Training is valid for 3 years. There is a $5 fee for this class which includes pocket certificates and patches. Participants must be at least 15 years old.
- Mile Swim – is an award for swimming one mile. The course will be conducted for an hour every day. You must attend and complete every practice to do the mile on Friday. On Friday the Swimmers will swim the mile down at the waterfront, come cheer your fellow scouts on!
- COPE – training course to certify you a COPE instructor. This is an entire week commitment participating in COPE classes throughout the week in addition to completing book work. There is a $35 fee for this class.
- Archery Level I – In this course you will learn the skills to become a successful archery instructor. This course has a fee of $45 and includes USAA Archery Level I certification.
Leader versus Staff Volleyball Tournament
Don’t let the youth of the staff intimidate your wise old fame. Challenge the competitive spirit in each of you and join the other Scoutmasters for a fun filled game of volleyball. This year, the game will be played on Tuesday evening starting at 8:30 pm. It is the best 2 sets out of 3. If you can’t play, come support the Scoutmasters as a cheering section.
Yes, adults we did not forget about you when it comes to shooting! Every Thursday night you will have your own night with no Scouts to try and knock out as many clay pigeons as you can hit. There is a small fee for ammo.
Meninak Golf Classic
A Camp Shands favorite. Leaders have the opportunity to play on a 9-hole course. The only catch is you can only use clubs and balls made from natural materials found at camp. We will have a workshop to assist you in making your club. You will be able to have the chance to win the Best Score award and the Longest Drive award.
Leader Appreciation Dinner
The North Florida Council will recognize all leaders who come to camp for their commitment to the Scouting program with a low country boil dinner. Yes, you heard that right we are bringing the tradition of the Ragin Cajuns to North Florida. There will be an informal session with the Scout Executive to provide feedback. All leaders in camp can attend at no charge. This is our way of saying thank you for the time you give to Scouting.
This is a place for leaders only and is off limits to all Scouts. NEW for 2017 we have moved the leader’s lounge to the Aquatics Center where we will be offering air conditioning, individual cups of coffee, refrigerator, water, restrooms, and FREE Wi-Fi.
We are offering three relaxing swim times just for leaders’ only! All swimming will be at our BRAND NEW aquatics center. We do offer additional swimming time at the waterfront by talking to the director.
Tuesday and Wednesday we have a fantastic opportunity for leaders to have a class in Blacksmithing.
Leader Merit Badge
Camp Shands is proud to announce a BRAND NEW Leaders’ program. Leaders will have the opportunity to earn various levels of rank advancement. The new program is designed to get leaders involved in camp. Be the first to earn these top awards. More information to be provided at Pre-Camp Leaders Meeting.
We utilize the Remind platform to offer weather alerts, program updates and other reminders. This is a free service.
Special Recognition & Awards
The Following awards are vital parts to our camp. The following awards will be discussed in detailed at the pre-camp meeting: Honor troop and patrol, Kahuna Race, Airsoft Competition, Robin Hood Award, Golden Spoon Award, and Spirit Stick. More information will be available at the pre-camp meeting.
Clean Campsite Award
The purpose of campsite visitations is to ensure the general health and safety of our campers, NOT to invade your personal privacy and property. We do not go there with the idea of finding every little thing that is wrong with your campsite. If we have comments or suggestions for improvement, we will communicate them constructively. Campsite visitations will occur daily by the Camp Commissioner or designated commissioner team. Generally, units should “Be Prepared” at any time for a camp visitation.